28.6.09

Spicy Chipotle Black Bean Chili

Summer is awesome, and chili is awesome, too, and together they are super awesome. I'm a big fan of vegan chili, and I've spent the last two or three batches perfecting my very own signature chili recipe (based off of the fabulous Red-Hot White Bean Chili from Robin Robertson's Vegan Fire & Spice), and I do believe I've finally found it. I meant to add some corn but I forgot. Oops, perhaps next time. Without ado:


Spicy Chipotle Black Bean Chili

1T olive oil
1 yellow onion, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
2 portobello mushroom caps, chopped
4-5 cloves of garlic, coarsely chopped
2 serrano chiles, seeded and minced (use less or substitute jalapeños if you don't like a lot of spice)
1 chipotle, plus 1T adobo sauce
3T chili powder (I used Frontier Fiesta Chili Powder, bought in bulk from my local co-op) 1T salt (if using a salt-free chili powder blend)
1/2t ground cumin (or more if your chili powder is less cumin-y than mine!)
1/4t dried oregano
1/8t black pepper
1 28oz can crushed tomatoes (I like Cento, and have had bad experiences with store-brand crushed tomatoes)
1 cup water
2 15.5oz cans black beans, drained and rinsed
3/4 cup textured vegetable protein
3/4 cup water

Heat oil in a large saucepot over medium-low or medium heat. Add onion, carrot, bell pepper, mushrooms, garlic, serrano, and chipotle. Cover and cook about 10 min, until tender, stirring occasionally. Add adobo and spices, and stir 2 additional minutes. Add tomatoes and 1 cup of water and bring to a boil, then reduce to low and add beans; cover and simmer. After about 40 min, stir in TVP and 3/4 cup water and cook for 10 minutes more.

Voilà! Your friends, vegan and non-vegan alike, will be wowed! And if they're not, you don't have very nice friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment